Gregory B. Collins
University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., cum laude)
University of Arizona (B.A.)
Call: (480) 990-6214
Practice Areas and Experience
Greg Collins heads the firm’s intellectual property litigation practice. An experienced trial lawyer, Greg also handles a variety of complex commercial disputes, including breach of contract and corporate governance litigation.
Greg works with his clients to obtain the best litigation outcome. And while most intellectual property and commercial litigation disputes resolve short of trial, Greg prepares all of his client’s cases for trial. In 2019 alone, Greg represented clients at trial on two separate occasions. He obtained trial verdicts in his clients’ favor in both matters. As lead trial counsel for his clients, Greg has secured multi-million dollar verdicts and arbitration awards in bet-the-company litigation and he has prosecuted and defended cases seeking damage awards in excess of one-hundred million dollars.
Greg’s aggressive approach has proven successful many times over, and has been lauded by independent rating organizations, by other lawyers and most importantly, by Greg’s clients. Greg has twice been recognized by U.S. News & World Reports’ Best Lawyers’ “Lawyer of the Year” in Scottsdale, Arizona for Patent Litigation (an honor bestowed on only one attorney each year). Greg also ranks as a “Southwest Super Lawyer” in intellectual property litigation. And he holds an “AV Preeminent Rating” (the highest possible rating) from Martindale-Hubbell.
Before joining the firm in 2007, Greg practiced commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation at Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.—the largest law firm in the Southwest. Greg has taught continuing legal education courses to attorneys across the United States and he has served as an adjunct law professor, teaching courses in intellectual property.
Representative Cases and Clients
- Successfully represented clients at trial, obtaining multi-million dollar judgment.
- Obtained complete defense jury verdict at trial for client.
- Obtained summary judgment for plaintiff on all affirmative claims, leaving just the amount of damages for trial.
- Lead counsel for client asserting patent rights against infringers across the United States.
- Coordinated intellectual property enforcement of copyrights for major motion picture studios in Arizona courts.
- Obtained dismissal of patent infringement suit brought against a client after serving Rule 11 motion on opposing party and its attorneys.
- Successfully represented client in front of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to obtain reversal of lower court’s judgment dismissing Lanham Act false advertising claims.
- Participated in a nationwide campaign to prosecute and combat online copyright infringement on behalf of several leading Hollywood movie studios.
- Represented a national condominium management company in a suit against a competitor asserting trademark infringement, unfair competition and cybersquatting claims.
- Successfully defended patent infringement verdicts in front of the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Prosecuted Lanham Act false advertising and unfair competition claims on behalf of a multi-national corporation against a competitor.
- Defended an internet based business against claims that it unfairly competed by allegedly publishing fictitious internet reviews.
- Obtained a $7.5 million verdict against a self-proclaimed internet troll for internet defamation.
- Represented an Arizona based business in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board proceedings.
- Prevailed in front of the Arizona Court of Appeals in bond forfeiture proceedings
- Successfully defended a group of credit unions in multi-jurisdictional patent infringement action.
- Represented a local inventor in patent infringement suit against one of the world’s largest manufacture of home improvement tools.
- Represented a major producer of cosmetic botanical ingredients in a variety of intellectual property matters.
- Defended an Arizona based company in a copyright infringement suit relating to the resale of allegedly grey-market goods
- Represented a regional bank in its claims against a competitor asserting trademark infringement and unfair competition claims.
- Successfully defended a national bank against plaintiffs seeking to enforce sham arbitration awards.
- Represented a business in its Digital Millennium Copyright Act claims seeking to identify the anonymous author of copyrighted material posted on a website.
- Represented a software design company in copyright infringement and unfair competition suits.
- Represented an audio visual company in its claims against former employees asserting unfair competition and trade secret claims.
- Defended a surgical practice against claims related to the practice’s buy-out of a former physician member.
- Successfully defended anonymous authors of blogspace against trademark infringement and dilution claims brought by national hotel chain.
- Represented a real-estate investor in his efforts to challenge covenants and restrictions.
- Represented a group of physicians in their efforts to enforce rights under their limited liability company’s operating agreement.
- Successfully represented individual investors in arbitration against one of the largest condominium developments in Maricopa County.
- Represented Arizona based business in its defense of Lanham Act false advertising claims brought by competitor.
- Successfully obtained temporary and permanent injunctions in favor of a Fortune 500 company barring competitors from misappropriating trademarks.
- Represented a multi-state banking institution in its lawsuits against mortgage brokers across the United States arising from fraud in mortgage applications.
- Represented Arizona hospitality and real estate investment corporations in derivative action brought by minority shareholder related to alleged corporate freeze-out and misappropriation of corporate funds.
- Represented a leading dietary supplement company in its claims against a competitor for false advertising under the Lanham Act
- Represented a national hotel chain on claims against its franchisees
- Represented an owner of an internet website company on his claims against his former partners
- Obtained judgment on patent infringement claims in favor of patent holder
- Defended a group of real-estate investors against claims asserting that the investors were personally liable on a five million loan
- Successfully defended a group of tenants in common against claims brought by their fellow tenants in common
- Obtained judgment in favor of an App developer for breach of contract against a customer that had retained the developer to create an industry specific App
- Successfully represented an individual on defamation claims against an internet blog
- Successfully represented a not-for profit organization in its efforts to obtain public documents from a government agencySuccessfully defended efforts to obtain an injunction for alleged trademark and copyright infringement made by seller of sophisticated test equipment against an Arizona-based seller of competing equipment
- “Lawyer of the Year” Patent Litigation in Scottsdale, Arizona, The Best Lawyers in America, 2019 & 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America – Intellectual Property Litigation, 2018-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America – Patent Litigation, 2018-2021
- Southwest SuperLawyers Intellectual Property Litigation, 2015-2019
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2018-2019
- Top Lawyers in Arizona – Arizona Magazine, 2015-2019
- Member Arizona’s Finest Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Rating – Martindale-Hubbell
- Southwest Rising Stars – Intellectual Property Litigation, 2008-2014
- Arizona Civil Jury Instructions Committee – Arizona State Bar – 2012-2015
Media and Publications
- Presented Mock Markman Hearing for Arizona Intellectual Bar Section for the Arizona State Bar, CLE in the Gardens, March 2017 (Presenter).
- “Protecting Your Company’s Reputation: Online Defamation Stratagies that Work and When to Use Them,” Association of Corporate Counsel, December 2016 (Author).
- AdWars:Avoiding, Defending & Prosecuting Lanham Act False Advertising Claims, Assocation of Corporate Counsel, October 2016 (Presenter).
- “Did Deflategate Take the Air Out of Binding Arbitration,” Corporate Disputes Financier Worldwide 2015 (Author).
- “Left Shark Wades Into The Unsettled Waters of Copyright Law,” Record Reporter 2015 (Author).
- Of “Purposes Not Prohibited,” New Federal Rule of Evidence 408(b), Co-Author, CREIGHTON L. REV. 679 (June 2007).
- Mr. Collins is relied upon by several news organizations to provide commentary regarding intellectual property and internet related legal issues.
- Kercsmar Feltus & Collins PLLC
- Kercsmar & Feltus PLLC
- Adjunct Law Professor, Intellectual Property, 2012-2015
- Snell & Wilmer L.L.P.
- United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Office of Senator Jon Kyl
- University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- University of Arizona (B.A.)
- Supreme Court of Arizona
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Arizona
- United States District Court for the District of Arkansas
Greg is a member of Scottsdale Leadership Class XXX. He is an active member of the community, having organized community fundraisers for local organizations, including STARS: an organization that helps developmentally disabled individuals integrate into the community. He is a member of the Maricopa Bar Association’s Technology & Intellectual Property division and the Arizona Bar Association’s Committees on Intellectual Property and Trial Practice.
Greg is from Tucson, Arizona. He met his wife, who is also an attorney, while attending law school at the University of Arizona.